HEAVEN IS GAIN

HEAVEN IS GAIN

    But just think of stepping on shore
      and finding it heaven
    Of touching a hand
       and finding it God's
     Of breathing new air
        and finding it celestial
      Of waking up in glory 
         and finding it home
             --Finally Home by Don Wyrtzen

I find it weirdly ironic that Gregs's life verse was Philippians 1:21 which says, "For me to live is Christ and to die is gain." It's almost like he knew his life would be short. If any of you know how Greg was in his teen years, I can see why he thought his life would be short. He didn't always make the best decisions pre-Jesus. When he accepted Jesus as his Savior, his life was totally changed. He dropped the friends he had been hanging around with and moved, sight unseen, to Arizona so he could go to Bible college. He picked this verse knowing that this was his calling - to live for Jesus.
But he was also confident with the second part of the verse. One time when Greg was so sick in the hospital, we were doing a video update for all the people who diligently prayed for us. We knew that God could heal him, we just didn't know if He would. I changed up the conversation about healing on him and asked him what would happen if God chose not to heal him. Without hesitation, Greg said, "I win". And he did win. That was the theme of his funeral service. Greg won.
But this concept has blown my mind because in this world, for me, all I have from what we went through is loss. I lost my best friend, the love of my life. My kids lost their dad. The church lost their pastor. Our friends lost a friend. But when I look at this verse from Greg's perspective, it changes everything. He didn't lose anything; all he has is gain.
For those of us suffering the loss of someone who knew Jesus as Savior, as hard as grieving is, let me encourage you with this verse. What our loved one is experiencing is beyond what we could imagine. For Greg, he's in the presence of God. That right there is mind-blowing. To be with the creator of everything and revel in His glory must be amazing. Greg can walk again, he can talk again, he's not in any pain. That is such a comforting thought! I hope he hasn't stopped playing basketball since he stepped foot in heaven!
For me, there are certain times when those important events happen in life and the temptation to think that Greg has missed out on a holiday, or an accomplishment the kids or I made, but really, he's not missing out. Because all we experience in heaven is gain. And while I mourn over the fact that he would have loved to see or experience whatever he is missing, I am comforted by the fact that he is experiencing things that are so extraordinary, he's not missing out, I am! I don't know if this is Biblical, but I am hoping he is just exploring heaven ahead of me so that he can give me a guided tour with an express pass to see all the coolest things:)
It's all about perspective, right? So many times I get short sighted and focus on what was lost, not what's left and even better, what's ahead. If you are reading this today and you are grieving a loss, let me encourage you to focus on the gain. This world is not our home. What lays ahead of us is nothing but gain. Together, let's keep our minds focused on the hope that is to come while living our beautifully broken lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIAMONDS ARE A GIRLS BEST FRIEND

THIS IS ME

GOD LOVES ME BUT DOES HE LIKE ME?