GOD'S SENSE OF HUMOR

GOD'S SENSE OF HUMOR


I love a good joke. Even better than that, I love to TELL a good joke. I have some of the best friends in the world. When we get together, I have an unspoken goal in my mind to see how much I can get them laughing. When the tears of laughter start falling and the inhaler comes out, I know I've accomplished my goal.😂
It's no wonder we love humor because our Creator has the biggest sense of humor! Ever. Some of you know that my husband, Greg, had a well known message called, 'Look at the Birds'. If you haven't seen it before, you can see it here. A funny thing about that is...I have a bird phobia. No seriously, I hate birds. Especially the black birds that caw out my name "Lori, Lori, Lori". (Insert shivers down the spine).
I had an incident with birds in my early teenage years. I thought I would be hilarious and mimic a flock of geese. They got the joke for a while but then somehow, all together with a hive mentality they decided I wasn't so funny anymore. They turned in unison, all one million of them, opened their beaks and charged me. It was my first panic attack. I seriously had to use a brown paper bag to breathe into. The lady with me thought it was hysterical though, so all was not lost.
Then in high school, I got into scary movies. So of course, I had to watch The Birds by Alfred Hitchcock.The movie is about black birds that invade an oceanside community where they peck people to death. I actually love this movie, as weird as that sounds. I love it so much, I tortured myself and my kids by going to Bodega Bay, California where the movie was filmed. We all pretended we were getting attacked by the birds and it was fun!
However, recently I was some place where we were getting inundated with black birds. I could feel the uncomfortableness rising within me, but I was with my kids so I tried to ignore the panic. My son, Jake, noticed them too and started taunting me about how the birds were after me and and how they were going to peck out my eyes and tear my skin and before he knew it, I was running away from him seriously freaking out at his description of my phobia. It's funny now, but in the moment, the panic felt so real. Which in and of itself is ridiculous. How many people get attacked by birds and die? (If you know of a case, please keep it to yourself. I don't want to know).
And this is where I find God's sense of humor. He took what was a phobia to me and used it to help so many people. Matthew 6:26 says, "Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?" Greg would talk about how his disease and the unknown of what God was going to do in our lives was frightening. But worrying about what might or might not be doesn't help anything; it's a distraction from the faith lesson that God can be teaching you. And wouldn't you much rather be trusting God, who loves you and has a plan for your life, than worrying about something you can't change? If God loves and cares for the birds, how much more does He love and care for you? The answer is so much more!
So you can imagine how cute I find it when I post something vulnerable, something I'm struggling with and someone posts back to me to 'Look at the Birds'. Haha. I find God's sense of ironic humor in that. If God can care for something so detestable, and vile, He will surely have a solution for me. So thank you to those who tell me to look at the birds. I may have a bird I send back to you, (emoji!!🐦What kinda bird were you thinking?!?) but I can appreciate where you are coming from and it makes me smile knowing that God cares so deeply for me, even in my beautifully broken life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIAMONDS ARE A GIRLS BEST FRIEND

GOD LOVES ME BUT DOES HE LIKE ME?

FROM BAD TO GOOD